Friday 1 November 2013

Caring for mum. Would I do it all again?


I cared for mum for 5 years, the mum who cared for me all my life. She passed away 10 months ago and I miss her terribly. 

I miss her kindness, smile, love and care. I don't miss dementia, dementia broke my heart. Looking back I sometimes wonder how we managed? All too often we didn't. 

Someone asked me the other day, Would you do it all again? and the answer is yes, only better.  

I suppose it's the same for all people looking back at life and thinking of someone they loved, but there is absolute pain in my heart and soul that often angers me. A lack of understanding within and too often towards us held us back. 

On my tour I have spoken to amazing people, in person, by letter and on social media.  I feel inspired by their kindness and care, but the more I learn the more I feel I failed. 

We have to furnish families, husbands, wives, sons and daughters with the best of guidance, support, advice, respect and dignity. If we do we will give people the best of chance to live, love and cherish. 

Would I do it all again? ABSOLUTELY, but only better - for the love of mum. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...