Friday 16 November 2012

Isolation Loneliness ,Understanding, we can cure them, cant we?

Dementia as o,f this time we have no cure, but in my own experience caring for my mum for 5 years there are 3 words that appear in so many of the letters I receive that we are able to and can cure them, Loneliness, isolation and understanding .we where lonely we where isolated and to often we did not understand and to often people involved in our care with great intentions did not understand and those words and feelings are repeated time and time again, and loneliness and isolation are still a major issue in my life since my we mum passed away .we become isolated from society and the outside world even as a busy campaigner for as many hours as I can this re-adjustment to life is difficult ,but why should this be ,how do we become so lonely and isolated and why so little understanding from within and towards us. For me we have to start speaking more openly and honestly about dementia and caring ,if we do this then we will understand better when facing this illness ,when caring for a loved one ,we will understand more and we understand more then all who surround or are involved in this journey will be allowed or have to understand more and we can change those three words across society Loneliness ,isolation and understanding ,they play such a big part in our chance to live ,love and cherish ,for all the things we cant cure at this time ,we should spend some time curing the things we can    
my journey caring for my mum is over ,we where lonley and isoalted ,I still am ,we did not understand for to long what was happeneing and in many ways I still dont understand what happened ,we can do better we really can
Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment at the tommyontour blog. Your comment will be moderated and published very soon.

My mums name was Joan ,my Mum Had Dementia - our Story 9 Short Films

Tommy’s speech, providing a carer’s perspective,  on the theme of “ No – one ever asked   ” highlighted the transformational impact that ...